Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Newsweek's mediocre Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe article


God forbid an article about Michelle Williams taking on the role of Marilyn Monroe -- one of the greatest actresses of her time, who died of a drug overdose -- should mention the fact that Williams' former husband -- Heath Ledger, one of the greatest actors of his time -- also died of a drug overdose.

I'd blame the journalist who wrote the article, but as a journalist myself who knows the piece you submit to your editors isn't always the piece that sees print, I'll reserve my judgement.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Williams' people set Ledger's death as a no-no to cover as a condition to allowing Newsweek access to the actress for the piece, but as it seems to me the most interesting bit about the topic it's strange that a publication would agree to ignore it.

It is what it is, which is to say not much.

(The article, that is, not the movie. If anyone sees it and cares to chime in, let me know how it is in a comment.)

No comments: